Monday, August 24, 2015

Social responsibility

In light of my past epic fail of an attempt at a relationship, I got to thinking about social responsibility. As we were walking to the City Center with my best friend a month ago, I asked her about her view on the "last conversation" preceding a break-up. My upbringing dictates a certain sense of obligation to your significant other to dignify him with a face-to-face conversation, especially if you've spent a considerable amount of time together and have lived through rough experiences. As we were turning around the corner on 53rd St, my bestie noted: "No one owes you anything." I was flummoxed, yet acquiesced. What if it's a socially responsible thing to do? Aren't there any obligations between us, as members of society? She digressed with a smirk. It got me thinking. Indeed, we do not owe anyone anything, unless they extend us the same social responsibility that we extend to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment